|Cape Town, South Africa
August 7-16, 2013
- Subject: Doing Business in South Africa & Understanding Bottom of the Pyramid in Business
- Location: South Africa has approximately 30% of the economic production of Africa so we will examine the central economic power in Africa. We stay in Cape Town – the safest major city in South Africa.
- Goal: to understand how firms must adapt to serve the one billion people that are in the bottom of the income pyramid - one of the last great challenges for international business This group has low individual purchasing power but huge group purchasing power. However, to address this market business people has to make significant adaptations which require that business people have a greater understanding of such markets.
- Focus: We will meet with South Africans to understand how they do business and compete. We will spend time in both the poor townships that circle Cape Town and with high technology South African firms.
- Expectation: We will meet with microlenders and then go to the homes of the borrowers to see how they live. We will also visit with those that serve those with AIDs since South Africa has the world’s largest population of sufferers of AIDs. We will also visit with high technology firms such as meeting the CEO of the software firm that provides the capability to do banking by cell phone. In very poor nations there are no bank locations to serve the people. As a result most banking, payments for goods, salaries, etc are transactions done by cell phone.
1. Meet in Cape Town on evening of Aug 7
2. Return on Aug 16
- Faculty: Dr. Garry Bruton
- Class limit: 18
- Credit: 3 hours elective credit
- Program Fee: $1750*, includes welcome and farewell dinners, hotel, breakfast each day and most lunches
*Students are responsible for expenses related to textbooks/materials, travel to/from the country, meals and other personal expenses
- Guest Fee: $1250
- Program Fee: If this is your first study abroad experience at Neeley, then there will be a $500 program fee associated with your trip. If you have already participated in a study abroad experience while at Neeley, then a program fee of $1,750 will apply to any subsequent study abroad experiences in which you participate.