- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- MPA, University of Texas at Austin
- BA, Rice University
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Federal Taxation
- Property Taxation
- "The Effects of Healthcare Payment Systems on Skilled Nursing Facilities’ Cost Structure and Human Resource Strategies,” (with Bill Wempe). Journal of Management Accounting Research, forthcoming 2020.
- "Health Insurers' Claims and Premiums under the ACA: Evidence on the Effects of Bright Line Regulations" (with Bill Wempe and Sandra Callaghan). Journal of Risk and Insurance, March 2020.
- "The Affordable Care Act's Effects on Physician-Owned Hospital Formation, Expansion, and Operation" (with Bill Wempe). Health Affairs, August 2016.
- "The Effect of Protest Format on Appeals Adjustments for Residential Properties." Journal of the American Taxation Association, Spring 2015.
- "The Effects of Property Tax Protests on the Assessment Uniformity of Residential Properties.” Real Estate Economics, Winter 2014.
Honors and Awards
- Graduate Teaching Award - Elective, 2018
- Maryrose Short Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
- Graduate Teaching Award - Core, 2013
- Editorial Board, Journal of the American Taxation Association
- Editorial Board, Journal of International Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation (2004-2015)
- Referee-of-the-Year, National Tax Journal, 2005.
- University of North Texas: Recognition in Honors Day Convocation, 2005, 2006, and 2007; Mortar Board Top Prof, 2004.
- University of Georgia: Beta Alpha Psi Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 1995 and 1997.
- Best Paper Award, Chicago Quantitative Alliance Academic Competition, 1995.