M. J. Neeley Professor of Accounting
- PhD, University of Michigan
- BS, University of Colorado
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Financial disclosure and securities regulation
- Earnings quality
- Voluntary disclosure
- Economic consequences of accounting choice
- “Explaining Accruals Quality over Time” with Theodore E. Christensen and Jenna D’Adduzio, Journal of Accounting and Economics (February 2023), Vol. 75, No. 1, Article 101575.
- “Mind the Gap: CEO-Employee Pay Ratios and Shareholder Say on Pay Votes,” with Steven S. Crawford and Brian R. Rountree, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting (January/February 2021), Vol. 48, No. 1-2, 308-337.
- “Carrot or Stick? The Shift from Voluntary to Mandatory Disclosure of Risk Factors,” with A. C. Pritchard, Journal of Empirical Legal Studies (June 2016), Vol. 13, No. 2.
- “On the Persistence and Pricing of Industry-Wide and Firm-Specific Earnings, Cash Flows, and Accruals,” with Kai Wai Hui and Eric Yeung, Journal of Accounting and Economics (February 2016), Vol. 61, No. 1.
- “Are Individual Investors Influenced by the Optimism and Credibility of Stock Spam Recommendations?” with Richard A. Price and Brian R. Rountree, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting (November/December 2013), Vol. 40, No. 9.
- Financial Accounting for Undergraduates, James S. Wallace, Karen K. Nelson, and Theodore E. Christensen (currently in 5th edition), Cambridge Business Publishers (2023).
- Intermediate Accounting, Michelle Hanlon, Leslie Hodder, Karen K. Nelson, Darren Roulstone (currently in 3rd edition), Cambridge Business Publishers (2023).
Honors and Awards
- Neeley Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2023
- TCU Student Government Association, Neeley Faculty Member of the Year, 2023
- Associate Editor, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2020-present
- Poets & Quants Top 50 Undergraduate Business Professors, 2020
- Outstanding Discussant Award, AAA Financial Accounting and Reporting Section, 2018
- Editorial Board, The Accounting Review (2004-2017)
- MBA for Professionals Teaching Excellence Award (2015)
- MBA for Executives Teaching Excellence Award (2012)
- MBA for Executives Teaching Excellence Award (2008)
- Distinguished Resident Faculty, AAA Doctoral Consortium (2009)
- State Farm Companies Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Award (1995)
- Deloitte & Touche Foundation Doctoral Fellowship (1994-1995)
- Paton Fellowship (1991-1995)
- Dykstra Award for Excellence in Teaching (1994)