- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- MPA, University of Texas at Austin
- BA, Rice University
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Federal Taxation
- Property Taxation
- Health Care Policy
- "Evidence on the effects of the Federal COVID-19 vaccine mandate on nursing home staffing levels" (with Bill Wempe). Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 2023.
- "Nursing home COVID relief under QIP's performance-based formula: Does performance actually matter, and should it?" (with Bill Wempe). Medical Care Research & Review, 2022.
- "Trends of prescription drug manufacturer rebates in commercial health insurance plans, 2015-2019" (with Socal, Ballreich, Anderson, & Bai). JAMA Health Forum, 2022.
- "Do insurers manage their medical loss ratios? At what cost?" (with Bill Wempe). Journal of Insurance Regulation, 2021. (Winner of 2021 Kimball Award for best paper.)
- "The Effects of Healthcare Payment Systems on Skilled Nursing Facilities’ Cost Structure and Human Resource Strategies,” (with Bill Wempe). Journal of Management Accounting Research, 2021.
Honors and Awards
- Clark Society Endowed Faculty Award, 2022-2023
- Graduate Teaching Award - Elective, 2018
- Maryrose Short Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
- Graduate Teaching Award - Core, 2013
- Editorial Board, Journal of the American Taxation Association
- Editorial Board, Journal of International Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation (2004-2015)
- Referee-of-the-Year, National Tax Journal, 2005.
- University of North Texas: Recognition in Honors Day Convocation, 2005, 2006, and 2007; Mortar Board Top Prof, 2004.
- University of Georgia: Beta Alpha Psi Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 1995 and 1997.
- Best Paper Award, Chicago Quantitative Alliance Academic Competition, 1995.